Skip to main content

Getting Organize

Hello: i have collected many sewing and fashion magazines over the years. In 2002 i removed all the articles that caught my interest from the magazines and organized them in binders. Each binder has a name and an index. I also started a fabric binder. I cut either a 3x3 or 4x4 piece of every fabric i owned and store it in the fabric binder. I use acid free paper and tape i bought in an office supply store. This way i don't have to go through boxes to find a particular fabric. I store my fabrics in boxes that are lined with foil paper. All my fabrics are divided into categories such as: black & white, ethnic, stripes & plaids, dark colors, flannels, etc. My fabric binder is labeled in the exact same way. I saw a program with Martha Stewart a few years ago. She had one of the curators from the metropolitan museum of art in New York on the program. The curator showed the viewers how to preserve fabrics, clothing, linen etc. Lining a box with foil paper was one of the many ways you can preserve your fabrics when its stored in boxes. Well, I went on a diet one year go and i lost 15 pounds. I have to alter most of my clothes . So i am planning to start next week. I am going to finish organizing my sewing binder and i am planning to make a dress form out of duct tape, then let the sewing begin. Will keep you posted. Oh one las thing, most of my ideas i read it in threads magazine or sew news magazine.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TNT Blouse and Skirt

Hello, I hope everyone had a fantastic holiday weekend. Below is a skirt and blouse I sewed two weeks ago from my  TNT patterns. Last year I blogged about it here.  I have not worn the ensemble yet, I am waiting for my hubby to be in the mood to take my photos.
Later.....

Done Burda 6727- The Coat

Hello,
The Amazing Coat Sew Along- The Wearable Muslin I started this coat (wearable muslin) last year as part of the Amazing Coat Sew Along. In the end I got sick with the flu and was unable to meet the deadline. The coat was done, all that was left to do was to hem the coat, add snaps and large button. The alterations to the pattern was documented in my previous post about the coat. Thanks to my sewing sister I worked on the coat last weekend and completed it. I had to wait for my new photographer (daughter) because the hobby was fired. I did a forward thrust shoulder adjustment, and I did not rotate the sleeves cap. The folds in the sleeves were a result of not rotating the sleeves cap. the biceps need mores ease.The armholes were lowered, as you can see I need to adjust the armholes a bit more. This is a great pattern,  I will adjust the pattern because I am planning to make another coat in the near future. 
Even though the coat is a test garment (muslin) I am going to wear it until t…

Butterick 6419 and 5941

My DD attended a spring fling event on April 21. The color for the event was blue, anything blue. She asked me to sew a blouse in blue with a large bow at the neck and palazzo’s pant in silver. She Choose Butterick 6419. I started with pant, the fabric was bought at Joann’s for 19.99/yd. Thank heavens for 50% coupon; I bought 3 yds. There is enough left over to make a blouse. I use my TNT pants (Butterick5941) made a muslin, extended the front crotch length and tweak the fit in the hips. I use the muslin as the pattern to cut the fashion fabric. The fabric took me out of my comfort zone, because of the appearance on the right side (liquid silver) , however, it was a knit and it sewed like butterrrrr. Next was the blouse; I did a muslin, there was minor adjustments in the back because of her narrow back and a swayback. I did not do a swayback adjustment in the muslin, instead I did the adjustment on the fashion fabric when I sewed the center back seam (I learned the technique in a class…