Skip to main content

Swap- Skirt #3, mystery solve















This is what happens when you don't read the pattern instructions. I stopped reading the instructions that comes with the pattern probably 4-5 years ago. Thread magazine had an article " Take the training wheels off your sewing machine". Basically, it encourage the sewer to sew a pattern without looking at the instructions that come with it. I never read another pattern instruction sheet. Beside I have an extensive sewing library, who needs to read those instructions. Well, I will be reading the pattern instructions if its a garment or a design that's new to me.






After reading the pattern sheet of Simplicity 7097 ( pattern may be out of print) I realized that the instruction were well written and if i had read the instructions i would have realize that the flounce was applied to the front & back skirt before sewing the side seam. The skirt has an asymmetrical seam and the seam angles out at 45 degree
I sewed the right side seam of the flounce with a straight seam instead of a 45 degree angle of slanted seam, that is why it has that droop and bubble at the end. I feel somewhat better, since i know whar went wrong.

I spent a lot of time on that skirt, I added black pipping to the skirt and it really brought the skirt to life. I don't have enought fabric left to cut out another flounce. Oh well, i don't feel like spending any more time right now.

Skirt #4 is almost done. I have to put the self facing waist and and do the hem.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TNT Blouse and Skirt

Hello, I hope everyone had a fantastic holiday weekend. Below is a skirt and blouse I sewed two weeks ago from my  TNT patterns. Last year I blogged about it here.  I have not worn the ensemble yet, I am waiting for my hubby to be in the mood to take my photos.
Later.....

Done Burda 6727- The Coat

Hello,
The Amazing Coat Sew Along- The Wearable Muslin I started this coat (wearable muslin) last year as part of the Amazing Coat Sew Along. In the end I got sick with the flu and was unable to meet the deadline. The coat was done, all that was left to do was to hem the coat, add snaps and large button. The alterations to the pattern was documented in my previous post about the coat. Thanks to my sewing sister I worked on the coat last weekend and completed it. I had to wait for my new photographer (daughter) because the hobby was fired. I did a forward thrust shoulder adjustment, and I did not rotate the sleeves cap. The folds in the sleeves were a result of not rotating the sleeves cap. the biceps need mores ease.The armholes were lowered, as you can see I need to adjust the armholes a bit more. This is a great pattern,  I will adjust the pattern because I am planning to make another coat in the near future. 
Even though the coat is a test garment (muslin) I am going to wear it until t…

Butterick 6419 and 5941

My DD attended a spring fling event on April 21. The color for the event was blue, anything blue. She asked me to sew a blouse in blue with a large bow at the neck and palazzo’s pant in silver. She Choose Butterick 6419. I started with pant, the fabric was bought at Joann’s for 19.99/yd. Thank heavens for 50% coupon; I bought 3 yds. There is enough left over to make a blouse. I use my TNT pants (Butterick5941) made a muslin, extended the front crotch length and tweak the fit in the hips. I use the muslin as the pattern to cut the fashion fabric. The fabric took me out of my comfort zone, because of the appearance on the right side (liquid silver) , however, it was a knit and it sewed like butterrrrr. Next was the blouse; I did a muslin, there was minor adjustments in the back because of her narrow back and a swayback. I did not do a swayback adjustment in the muslin, instead I did the adjustment on the fashion fabric when I sewed the center back seam (I learned the technique in a class…