Skip to main content

No Sewing and Ramblings

I visited monkeyroom's blog last month, and she wrote about "SABLE". It was the first time i came across that term and the article was sooo on target for the following reasons:

1. I will never be able to sew all the fabric I owned.

2. I bought each fabric for a particular project; however, somehow I was unrealistic about the time and effort I will have to invest in order to complete the project

3. I am a perfectionist, I know how garments should fit and I refused to settle. That is a major problem because I take way too much time than I should to complete a project.

4. Part of my stash has become dated and I refused to divorce myself from my dated or rather vintage stash. LOL

5. Sometimes I become anxious because of UFO, and not having enough time to sew.

6. My extensive pattern collection is overwhelming. This year I added Burda patterns to the collection. P.S. I have a list of the new McCalls and Simplicity patterns I am going to buy when they go on sale at Jo-Ann next week. LOL

7. Yes, indeed she gave me a lot to think about


More Ramblings
I visited monkeyroom's blog today and I was surprised to see that both of us spent our time organizing our patterns. Mmmm telepathy?

Threads magazine published an article maybe 3-years ago regarding how to organize your patterns.
The instructions were as follow:
1. Remove the pattern from the envelope and place it into a yellow mailing envelope

2. Write the pattern number and the company on the yellow envelope and file each envelope by the number and Pattern Company

3. The original pattern envelope was place inside a clear sheet protector and store in a large binder. My patterns are store by categories such as: blouse, skirts, slacks, jackets, sportswear, coordinates, semi-formal etc.

This makes finding a particular pattern very easy.

Two years ago hubby gave me a digital camera with a printer for Xmas and last year I bought a laptop.

Technology has invaded my sewing room. I scanned and printed all the patterns I bought in the last 2 months. Then I filed the patterns by number and Pattern Company. The patterns were left in their envelope and the printed copies were store in a new binder. I think I like this system better because the binder is not bulky.

Moving forward as I used the old patterns I will scan and print the pattern and return the pattern pieces to their original envelope. This will take less space in the file box and I can recycle the envelopes for another use.


I will post pictures on the next post

Comments

Cennetta said…
I suffer from the same illness as you. lol I am a SABLE. I have way too much of a lot of sewing related things. This morning I started coming through my inspiration folder and notes from current/recent projects.

Your previous method of organizing your patterns is the same as mine. But I started making copies of the pattern envelops about a year ago to re-organize my patterns using the new method mentioned in your post. Someday I'll get it done. I don't know about you, but I can spent hours on a small organizing projects.

Happy Organizing!
C

Popular posts from this blog

TNT Blouse and Skirt

Hello, I hope everyone had a fantastic holiday weekend. Below is a skirt and blouse I sewed two weeks ago from my  TNT patterns. Last year I blogged about it here.  I have not worn the ensemble yet, I am waiting for my hubby to be in the mood to take my photos.
Later.....

Done Burda 6727- The Coat

Hello,
The Amazing Coat Sew Along- The Wearable Muslin I started this coat (wearable muslin) last year as part of the Amazing Coat Sew Along. In the end I got sick with the flu and was unable to meet the deadline. The coat was done, all that was left to do was to hem the coat, add snaps and large button. The alterations to the pattern was documented in my previous post about the coat. Thanks to my sewing sister I worked on the coat last weekend and completed it. I had to wait for my new photographer (daughter) because the hobby was fired. I did a forward thrust shoulder adjustment, and I did not rotate the sleeves cap. The folds in the sleeves were a result of not rotating the sleeves cap. the biceps need mores ease.The armholes were lowered, as you can see I need to adjust the armholes a bit more. This is a great pattern,  I will adjust the pattern because I am planning to make another coat in the near future. 
Even though the coat is a test garment (muslin) I am going to wear it until t…

Butterick 6419 and 5941

My DD attended a spring fling event on April 21. The color for the event was blue, anything blue. She asked me to sew a blouse in blue with a large bow at the neck and palazzo’s pant in silver. She Choose Butterick 6419. I started with pant, the fabric was bought at Joann’s for 19.99/yd. Thank heavens for 50% coupon; I bought 3 yds. There is enough left over to make a blouse. I use my TNT pants (Butterick5941) made a muslin, extended the front crotch length and tweak the fit in the hips. I use the muslin as the pattern to cut the fashion fabric. The fabric took me out of my comfort zone, because of the appearance on the right side (liquid silver) , however, it was a knit and it sewed like butterrrrr. Next was the blouse; I did a muslin, there was minor adjustments in the back because of her narrow back and a swayback. I did not do a swayback adjustment in the muslin, instead I did the adjustment on the fashion fabric when I sewed the center back seam (I learned the technique in a class…