Skip to main content

Butterick 5038




















I bought this pattern last year. After working on the challenges with TNT pants pattern, I decided to sew something easy. Well so I thought. I made this dress for my daughter.

Pattern Description: Misses' Tunic: A-line tunic, above mid-knee

Pattern Sizing: 14 to 20; I made 20 with with a few alterations/changes.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yes. The pattern is true to the photo.

Were the instructions easy to follow? The instructions were easy.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I purchased this pattern thinking it was a good basic pattern to make simple summer dress.

What I dislike about the pattern was the sizing. The pattern runs small in the bodice and it does not provide adequate coverage of the bust area. If your bra cup is an "A" then it should be OK

Fabric Used: very lightweight cotton that has been in my fabric collection for years.

Pattern Adjustments/Alterations:














My daughter is a full busted young lady; therefore I had to alter the front and back bodice to accommodate her. The bust point was lowered and the bust dart was repositioned, 2" was added to the lower edge of the front bodice because it was too short; To the top of the front bodice 3-4" was added to provide adequate coverage . The same additions were added to back bodice.



The pattern instruction sheets only gave instructions regarding a bodice lining. I added a full lining because the fabric I choose was lightweight and somewhat thin.

Comments

Faye Lewis said…
I really like this especially in the plaid.
Summerset said…
Very cute! Smart idea to just add a lining to the thin, yet perfect for summer fabric.
paco peralta said…
Alethia.- me gusta, sencillo y bonito vestido. un abrazo, Paco
~ Kimberlee B ~ said…
Very cute, perfect summer outfit!
Edris said…
I'm glad I found your review. I will making this dress soon. Just bought my fabric yesterday. Thanks for your tips.

Popular posts from this blog

TNT Blouse and Skirt

Hello, I hope everyone had a fantastic holiday weekend. Below is a skirt and blouse I sewed two weeks ago from my  TNT patterns. Last year I blogged about it here.  I have not worn the ensemble yet, I am waiting for my hubby to be in the mood to take my photos.
Later.....

Done Burda 6727- The Coat

Hello,
The Amazing Coat Sew Along- The Wearable Muslin I started this coat (wearable muslin) last year as part of the Amazing Coat Sew Along. In the end I got sick with the flu and was unable to meet the deadline. The coat was done, all that was left to do was to hem the coat, add snaps and large button. The alterations to the pattern was documented in my previous post about the coat. Thanks to my sewing sister I worked on the coat last weekend and completed it. I had to wait for my new photographer (daughter) because the hobby was fired. I did a forward thrust shoulder adjustment, and I did not rotate the sleeves cap. The folds in the sleeves were a result of not rotating the sleeves cap. the biceps need mores ease.The armholes were lowered, as you can see I need to adjust the armholes a bit more. This is a great pattern,  I will adjust the pattern because I am planning to make another coat in the near future. 
Even though the coat is a test garment (muslin) I am going to wear it until t…

Butterick 6419 and 5941

My DD attended a spring fling event on April 21. The color for the event was blue, anything blue. She asked me to sew a blouse in blue with a large bow at the neck and palazzo’s pant in silver. She Choose Butterick 6419. I started with pant, the fabric was bought at Joann’s for 19.99/yd. Thank heavens for 50% coupon; I bought 3 yds. There is enough left over to make a blouse. I use my TNT pants (Butterick5941) made a muslin, extended the front crotch length and tweak the fit in the hips. I use the muslin as the pattern to cut the fashion fabric. The fabric took me out of my comfort zone, because of the appearance on the right side (liquid silver) , however, it was a knit and it sewed like butterrrrr. Next was the blouse; I did a muslin, there was minor adjustments in the back because of her narrow back and a swayback. I did not do a swayback adjustment in the muslin, instead I did the adjustment on the fashion fabric when I sewed the center back seam (I learned the technique in a class…