Sunday, August 30, 2009

Sewing in NYC

Today was the last day of the four day sewing seminar with Susan Khalje and Kenneth King. Kenneth did the last tweaking on my pants pattern. Everytime an adjustment was made on the paper pattern and recopied the pattern onto paper. I did this five times and made 4 muslin. I did not make a muslin today because I had too much pain in my right shoulder.

Of course I visited Kashi at Metro Textiles on Friday and he opened his store for the class to shop today. Of course I also bought fabrics on Friday.

In the back of the store Kashi had large boxes of scraps fabrics for $1.00 a piece. Mary and I took the time to search the box. We found 3yds of burgandy wool crepe ( the exact wool crepe that Mary brought to the class and made a beautiful vintage dress), 2yds of various color of silk charmuse, 1-1/2 yds of 60-inches wide strechy velour( the type that Juicy uses to makes their sweats suits), You get the idea. Mary and I found beautiful pieces of fabrics. Of course Kashi is mailing my loot to my home.

Here are photos of Kenneth's creation. I wish you could see the artistry and mastery of these jackets


Here is Susan and Ann from Gorgeous fabrics

Here is great Kenneth



Saturday, August 29, 2009

Sewing In NYC

Well, today I worked on my pants sloper. So far I have made 4 muslin, tomorrow I will make muslin #5. I think that is the last adjustment. Thankfully, only the back leg need adjustment. The pant front is done. it don't need any adjustment.

Tomorrow is the last day of the class, and hopefully my pant sloper will be done. More later.....

Friday, August 28, 2009

Sewing in New York City

Hello:

I am having a wonderful time with Susan, Kenneth and all the ladies in the class.

Kenneth is talented, knowledgeable, and full of information. He is vivacious and in constant motion. He is creative. He is a genius. I am totally mesmerize by him. Most important he is absolutely gorgeousssssssssssssssssssss.

Susan is pretty, calm, controlled, talented, creative and a master of the craft. She is soooooo knowledgeably. I am soaking-up every bit of information Susan and Kenneth are sharing with the class.

I am working on my pants sloper. My muslin was OK, it only needed some tweaking. Kenneth is working with me. I learned how to removed extra fabric from the back pant leg and in the front by using a horizontal line and an I-dart to remove fullness.

More later

Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Sewing Class

Sewing with Susan Khalje and Kenneth. Class start on Thursday. A muslin of the garment that you want to work on must be brought to the class.

I made a pants muslin in 6/08. I am planning to take it with me. I don't know what pattern I used when I made the muslin because I did not write it down.

Today I worked on altering another pattern. It took all day because of pain my right shoulder ( had surgery recently), I have to work in small increments of time.

Tomorrow, I am planning to check the crotch length, and my daughter is going to help me by cutting out a second muslin for me and then I can put it together.

Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Skirt- 5 of 5- Done

This is the last post regarding the Bronx skirts series. Below is the pic.

I swore that I will never buy anything that needed that much work. Well after working on the Bronx skirt series I changed my mind. I love the fabrics and I was force to figure out a way to make it work. First, I will like to thank Summerset for her suggestion when I wrote about skirt #4. She got me started. Second, the idea for the black band around skirt # 4 was borrowed from Carolyn(She attached a yellow band to a floral skirt). Third the other ideas came so many other blogs that I read ( Lisa, Adrienne, Sheila and so many others).

Review:

Description: Four ready made skirts

Size: 3X- 4X

Fabric: cotton and cotton flannel

Problems:
1. The construction was poor
2. There was no facing in the zipper area
3. The side seams were uneven, there was 1/2" - 1 1/2" difference
4 There was no waist stay to prevent the waist from streching
5. Cotton flannel skirt- the needle left holes in the side seams probably due to using a needle that was too large for the fabric
6. All four skirts had large floral designs that needed to be match
7. The skirts were cut on the bias

Solution:
1. The skirts were taken apart
2. The uneveness of the hem was corrected
3. I used the corrected front and back skirt and made a paper pattern. I then used this pattern to correct the other skirts
4. I inserted a side seam zipper(center) in the skirts except for skirt #4 I did an elastic waist.
5. Stay tape was added to the waist and the zipper area was reinforced with interfacing.
6. Skirt # 4 a bias piece of black fabric was cut and sewn to the hem
Skirt # 5 had a mottif of brown floral designs and a purple band; this was removed and the purple band cut off and re-attached to the skirt as a single band. The brown was added to the hem.

Conclusion: I will do it again because it was a learning experience. The skirts are of better quality it fit me perfectly and I am happy with the results.

Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Skirt- Photos

I wrote about this skirt in a previous post. Before

Here is after.

I have one more pic to post, and I will do one review for all five skirts. Later

Sunday, August 2, 2009

Skirt- UFO 5 of 5

The picture below was posted in a previous post. The hem was uneven.


Here is the remake.

Saturday, August 1, 2009

Skirt- UFO 4 of 5

Version #4 of the skirt remake. Here I recut the fabric and re-attached in a different order. The original look of this skirt was change.

Holiday Decor