Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Pants 1 of 4

Since the completion of the class in NYC, I have not work on my pants muslin because of an injured right shoulder. The times it take for me to complete a task has tripled. I am getting ready to sew a few pants that will be incorporated into my work wardrobe. I embraced the concept of a workable wardrobe 2-years ago after reading an article in Stitches magazine ( one of my favorite Australian magazines). My DD does not sew, but since I injured my shoulder she has become my assistant.

My plan is to write about my progress in four parts.

Part 1- planning and gathering supplies needed for the project

Fabrics:
1. 5-yd of summer wool purchased in NYC. I cannot wear wool, but this fabric is so beautiful, it has a small percentage of wool and it should be OK with a lining.

2. Black fabric from Metro Textile. Kashi said it was appropriate for pants, skirt or jacket and it has a nice weight and drape.

3. Lining from my stash. The pants will be fully lined since they are going to become the workhorses of my working wardrobe.

Notions:
threads
zipper
waist stay
Serger threads

Here are the underlinings and the fabrics. I choose several underlining, once I start cutting the fabric at that point I will make a final decision.






Part 2
1. Sewing-up muslin #5 ( hopefully the last one). It was not completed during the class in NYC. Additionally I will be making changes to the pattern if needed (hopefully none)

2. Sewing muslin #6 out of a fabric that resembles the actual fabric. Kenneth King explained that muslin was a great fabric to work out major fitting or pattern issues; however fabrics behave differently, so before cutting your fashion fabric, make a pants out of fabric that is similar in weight and feel to the fashion fabric.

Part 3- sewing a total of 6 pants- two out of the summer wool and four out of the black fabric.

Part 4- sewing 3 pants - the same

Sunday, September 13, 2009

Strapless Maxi dress


This was one of the fabrics I bought at Metro Textiles in New York. I found this in the $1.00 box that Kashi has in the back of the store. This was easy pezzy sewing. My DD posed in the dress so I could take a picture.

Some stats
large piece of jersey knit - maybe 2 yd
light silky lining fabric- 2yd

Notions
Gutterman Orange thread
All purpose Black thread
1-inch elastic

When I saw the fabric I knew that it only needed something very simple to make it sing. I use the hip measurement and I made a simple rectangle. It has only one seam (at the side). I added a lining to keep it from clinging. I used my serger to attach the elastic and sewed it down with machine stitching ( Sandra Betzina's tip). The hem was not done when I took the photo.
I plan to wear it with a short black jacket

America, Happy Birthdate