Tuesday, December 29, 2009

My Accomplishments in 2009

I had three goals for 2009
1. I allotted $750.00 budget for 2009.

Outcome: I spent about $2000.00 dollars. And that’s a conservative figure.

A self impose a 90-day moratorium from January to March.

Outcome: the moratorium lasted 2 months.

2. Pants- I am happy with the fit in the back, the front crotch curve needs work. I tend to not refer to the books and videos in my sewing library. That is something I am planning to correct this year. My goal here is make pants with a great fit since this is one of the basic pieces I need for my wardrobe.

Outcome: I spent a great deal of time working on a TNT pants pattern. I am still not happy with the fit.

Dress sloper

Outcome: not accomplish.

3. Re-discovering my love of quilting, crochet and knitting- I have 2-3 unfinished quilts top; those will be completed this year. I am incorporating crochet and knitting projects in my plans this year.

Outcome: I knitted a purple bag. The quilts are still unfinished.

Lastly, I use a binder to organize everything. I have a binder labeled “sewing projects- current and future. This is where I document as I sew, I write about techniques, alterations, what work and what did not work, etc. Once I complete a project I file my notes and photos in another binder label completed projects.

Outcome: this was a major accomplishment. In fact I expanded this system. I have a collection of binders where I store recipes, knitting, crochet, quilting etc.

Sewing Accomplishments:

9 skirts- http://kassminscreations.blogspot.com/2009/07/skirt-ufo-1-of-5.html

http://kassminscreations.blogspot.com/2009/07/skirt-ufo-2-of-5.html

http://kassminscreations.blogspot.com/2009/08/skirt-5-of-5-done.html

http://kassminscreations.blogspot.com/2009/12/skirts-love-affair-part-2.html



3 dresses- http://kassminscreations.blogspot.com/2009/09/strapless-maxi-dress.html
http://kassminscreations.blogspot.com/2009/05/butterick-5038.html

Window Treatments- http://kassminscreation.blogspot.com/2009/10/window-treatment.html

Sewing Companion- Ms Oriana- http://kassminscreation.blogspot.com/2009/12/sewingcompanionbuddy.html

Sewing Related-
Sewing in NY City- http://kassminscreations.blogspot.com/2009/08sewing-in-nyc_30.html

Patterns Weights- http://kassminscreations.blogspot.com/2009/03/pattern-weights-and-skirts.html

Book Sale http://kassminscreations.blogspot.com/2009/05/book-sale.html

My first knit bag- http://kassminscreations.blogspot.com/2009/01/dublin-bag-snow-drift-cardigan-hats.html

Happy New Year

Monday, December 21, 2009

Happy Holidays



May you all have a joyous holiday season. May the New Year brings us peace, health and good fortune.

From my family to yours: Happy Holiday.

I am working on a simple jacket, more after New Year.

Saturday, December 5, 2009

Sewing Companion/Buddy

I bought Oriana five years ago at a local E-bay store $54.00. The owner of the store said that" it was made early 1900's". It has the original metal wire and rolling wheels.

The top (neck area) and muslin covering was soiled with spots and falling apart. It stayed in my sewing area (basement) waiting for me to bring it back to life. I read many article regarding how to cover a dress form, but for some unknown reason it seemed like a too much of a big challenge.

Well, I got tired of asking my hubby for help when I am trying to sew a blouse or a dress.
So last Tuesday I tore off the old covering, draped a lite layer of 100% natural cotton batting over the form and sewed a new dress onto the dress form.
On Wednesday I used synthetic batting (bought it years ago for a quilt and decided not to use it) from my to pad the waist, hip, etc.
On Thursday I draped a second layer of 100% cotton batting over the dress form and hand sewed a second covering.

It’s funny I have a swayback and you are not going to believe me, but the dress form also has a swayback, and the curve of my hips.
I followed the Zapp method of alteration and used black twill tape and black elastic from my stash to mark off the key areas.

Here she is my brought back to life sewing companion/buddy-
Ms Oriana




You might be wondering why I called my companion Oriana?. Well, the story goes like this: I was 14-years old when I saw a cruise ship sailed thru the Panama Canal for the first time. It was nighttime and ship's lights were bright and beautiful; Its name was Oriana.
For some unknown reason that name came to me after I finished the dress form. I felt happy after I saw the result of my work.
more laterrrrr

Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Skirts- A Love Affair Part-2




























I forgot to do a pattern review when I posted earlier.

Pattern: Self drafted, TNT pattern. The black and purple skirts are straight skirts. The hound tooth was my version of a pencil skirt.

Fabrics: Black suiting fabric from my stash
Purple print- decorator fabric I bought at the fabricwarehouse in Belleville, NJ
Hound tooth fabric- was a size 3x skirt that was giving to me 3-years.
Lining fabric- green batiste from Metro Textiles ( $1.00/yd) black and purple batiste
from my stash.
Other Stats: 8 inch centered zipper, fully lined skirts. The hound tooth skirt I made bias binding and sewed it to the waist, the black and purple skirt were finished with a peter sham waist treatment.
Later....

Holiday Decor