Skip to main content

Burda 7866- Kimono Style Blouse

In a previous post I wrote about Burda 7866. I made a blouse for my DD out of a knit fabric. Although it was a simple style I made a muslin because I don't have experience sewing knit fabrics. The first muslin was out of a very light knit. I added 2" to the hip area based on the first muslin. The second muslin was made out of heavier knit. I removed the 2" and added bust darts. I also joined the lower part of the blouse to make it one piece because I did not want to deal with matching the design. I read a post over at cheap and picky's blog regarding sewing knits and it was very helpful, I used Claire Shaeffer's book Fabric Sewing Guide. Last but not lease the fabulous Omega sent me a great book "Sewing Knits by Singer". I am going to read this book and I am going to sew another knit blouse. Here is the blouse.



Comments

Jackie said…
Knit shirts suit my figure better than most other fabrics. I need a bit of a stretch and a bit of a clingy fabric.

Curious...why was the additional 2" not needed on the heavier fabric?
Cennetta said…
Working with knits can be a little tricky sometimes. Making a few muslins always help me get the fit right on a new pattern. When it's right, it's smooth sewing from that point.
C
Sheila said…
I agree with Cennetta knits can be very tricky to sew with. I like to use a long straight stitch before serging my seams. I find when I would serge the seams the fabric would become wonky. Also I stablize the neckline and armholes too before serging.

You chose a pretty print & top for your daughter and am sure the book from Omega will be very helpful.

Keep on stitching.

Popular posts from this blog

TNT Blouse and Skirt

Hello, I hope everyone had a fantastic holiday weekend. Below is a skirt and blouse I sewed two weeks ago from my  TNT patterns. Last year I blogged about it here.  I have not worn the ensemble yet, I am waiting for my hubby to be in the mood to take my photos.
Later.....

Done Burda 6727- The Coat

Hello,
The Amazing Coat Sew Along- The Wearable Muslin I started this coat (wearable muslin) last year as part of the Amazing Coat Sew Along. In the end I got sick with the flu and was unable to meet the deadline. The coat was done, all that was left to do was to hem the coat, add snaps and large button. The alterations to the pattern was documented in my previous post about the coat. Thanks to my sewing sister I worked on the coat last weekend and completed it. I had to wait for my new photographer (daughter) because the hobby was fired. I did a forward thrust shoulder adjustment, and I did not rotate the sleeves cap. The folds in the sleeves were a result of not rotating the sleeves cap. the biceps need mores ease.The armholes were lowered, as you can see I need to adjust the armholes a bit more. This is a great pattern,  I will adjust the pattern because I am planning to make another coat in the near future. 
Even though the coat is a test garment (muslin) I am going to wear it until t…

Butterick 6419 and 5941

My DD attended a spring fling event on April 21. The color for the event was blue, anything blue. She asked me to sew a blouse in blue with a large bow at the neck and palazzo’s pant in silver. She Choose Butterick 6419. I started with pant, the fabric was bought at Joann’s for 19.99/yd. Thank heavens for 50% coupon; I bought 3 yds. There is enough left over to make a blouse. I use my TNT pants (Butterick5941) made a muslin, extended the front crotch length and tweak the fit in the hips. I use the muslin as the pattern to cut the fashion fabric. The fabric took me out of my comfort zone, because of the appearance on the right side (liquid silver) , however, it was a knit and it sewed like butterrrrr. Next was the blouse; I did a muslin, there was minor adjustments in the back because of her narrow back and a swayback. I did not do a swayback adjustment in the muslin, instead I did the adjustment on the fashion fabric when I sewed the center back seam (I learned the technique in a class…