Skip to main content

Simplicity 1873 by Cynthia Rowley

I bought this pattern because the bodice had bust darts and darts that radiated from the waist to the bust. I have lots of problems getting the back bodice to fit due to a swayback combine with a short  upper back and narrow back. I tried several patterns and I always get frustated and walk away. I am here to tell you I have a new attitude, thanks to Sheila.
I made a muslin and the center front and center back lenght was too long. I decreased the lenght and its ok; I will continue to work with this pattern until I get it right.
I did not use the skirt that came with the pattern instead I use M5390 my TNT skirt pattern with a few pleats. S1873 skirt require a bit of pleating and it was too much fabric and pleats for my wide hips
.
Fabric: a medium weight linen. This fabric has been in my collection for a couple of years. I don't lke the flower near my bust.. oh well moving alongggggg.
the pattern instructs you to line the bodice; I underlined and lined the bodice. The instructions providing on the pattern guidesheets were a bit confusing, in the end I made it work. Once the lining was attached I was not happy with all the hand stiching required to hem the lining to the waist of the dress and I decide to take to remove lining. I tried the dress on  before removing the lining and the bodice with the lining  feels great  next to my skin. I will not remove the lining.
Please forgive the wrinkles,  believe me I press the fabric before cutting the dress out and during the construction of the dress. Once the dress is completed I will post  better photos.



Comments

Lisa H. said…
It's looking good so far. Keep going, I'm sure the results will be wonderful.

Popular posts from this blog

TNT Blouse and Skirt

Hello, I hope everyone had a fantastic holiday weekend. Below is a skirt and blouse I sewed two weeks ago from my  TNT patterns. Last year I blogged about it here.  I have not worn the ensemble yet, I am waiting for my hubby to be in the mood to take my photos.
Later.....

Done Burda 6727- The Coat

Hello,
The Amazing Coat Sew Along- The Wearable Muslin I started this coat (wearable muslin) last year as part of the Amazing Coat Sew Along. In the end I got sick with the flu and was unable to meet the deadline. The coat was done, all that was left to do was to hem the coat, add snaps and large button. The alterations to the pattern was documented in my previous post about the coat. Thanks to my sewing sister I worked on the coat last weekend and completed it. I had to wait for my new photographer (daughter) because the hobby was fired. I did a forward thrust shoulder adjustment, and I did not rotate the sleeves cap. The folds in the sleeves were a result of not rotating the sleeves cap. the biceps need mores ease.The armholes were lowered, as you can see I need to adjust the armholes a bit more. This is a great pattern,  I will adjust the pattern because I am planning to make another coat in the near future. 
Even though the coat is a test garment (muslin) I am going to wear it until t…

Butterick 6419 and 5941

My DD attended a spring fling event on April 21. The color for the event was blue, anything blue. She asked me to sew a blouse in blue with a large bow at the neck and palazzo’s pant in silver. She Choose Butterick 6419. I started with pant, the fabric was bought at Joann’s for 19.99/yd. Thank heavens for 50% coupon; I bought 3 yds. There is enough left over to make a blouse. I use my TNT pants (Butterick5941) made a muslin, extended the front crotch length and tweak the fit in the hips. I use the muslin as the pattern to cut the fashion fabric. The fabric took me out of my comfort zone, because of the appearance on the right side (liquid silver) , however, it was a knit and it sewed like butterrrrr. Next was the blouse; I did a muslin, there was minor adjustments in the back because of her narrow back and a swayback. I did not do a swayback adjustment in the muslin, instead I did the adjustment on the fashion fabric when I sewed the center back seam (I learned the technique in a class…