Swap is a concept that has been around for a couple of years. I read about swap was from Julie Culshaw's website sometime in 2006 or 2007. After reading Julie's article I started buying stitchers magazine on E-bay; and I was able to read and see more of how the swap concepts work. I have been planning to swap from 2006-2010 without success; I made a plan, choose patterns, fabrics, and created a design board. After all that planning, I felt overwhelm, anxious and abandon the whole idea. Every fall I went through this exercise and finally last fall I decided that SWAP was no longer important and that I was going to sew whatever I wanted, no rules. The fabulous Sheila-CTK who has a relaxed, matter of fact attitude has encouraged me and shared her knowledge and experience. This has helped me to refocus and re-organize how I sew and what I sew. The results were evident in the last three post (carnival of skirts and simplicity 1873- Cynthia Rawley). Finally, I realize that the reason why my attempts of SWAP was not succesful in the past was because I only had one TNT (skirt) pattern, all the other patterns I choose required too many alterations and this took so much of my time. Also, I did not have all required notions for the fabrics I choose etc. I now have several TNTs (skirt, dress, jacket). This brings me to my last point, there is a SWAP over at Sticher's Guild that starts December 26,2012 and ends April 30, 2013. There are three options for a total of 9 to 11 garments including tops, bottoms, dressess etc. This equals 2 garments a month. If you are interested head over to Stitcher's Guild.
I will not be joining SWAP swe along, instead I will be using the concept to add needed pieces to my wardrobe.
I hope everyone had a fantastic holiday weekend. Below is a skirt and blouse I sewed two weeks ago from my TNT patterns. Last year I blogged about it here. I have not worn the ensemble yet, I am waiting for my hubby to be in the mood to take my photos.
Hello, The Amazing Coat Sew Along- The Wearable Muslin I started this coat (wearable muslin) last
year as part of the Amazing Coat Sew Along. In the end I got sick with the flu and
was unable to meet the deadline. The coat was done, all that was left to do was
to hem the coat, add snaps and large button. The alterations to the pattern
was documented in my previous post about the coat. Thanks to my sewing sister I worked on the
coat last weekend and completed it. I had to wait for my new photographer (daughter) because the hobby was fired. I did a forward thrust shoulder adjustment, and I did not rotate the sleeves cap. The folds in the sleeves were a result of not rotating the sleeves cap. the biceps need mores ease.The armholes were lowered, as you can see I need to adjust the armholes a bit more. This is a great pattern, I
will adjust the pattern because I am planning to make another coat in the near future. Even though the coat is a test garment
(muslin) I am going to wear it until t…
My DD attended a spring fling event on April 21. The
color for the event was blue, anything blue. She asked me to sew a blouse in
blue with a large bow at the neck and palazzo’s pant in silver. She Choose Butterick
6419. I started with pant, the fabric was bought at Joann’s
for 19.99/yd. Thank heavens for 50% coupon; I bought 3 yds. There is enough
left over to make a blouse. I use my TNT pants (Butterick5941) made a muslin, extended the front crotch length and tweak the fit in the
hips. I use the muslin as the pattern to cut the fashion fabric. The fabric
took me out of my comfort zone, because of the appearance on the right side (liquid silver) , however, it was a knit and it sewed like
butterrrrr. Next was the blouse; I did a muslin, there was
minor adjustments in the back because of her narrow back and a swayback. I did
not do a swayback adjustment in the muslin, instead I did the adjustment on the fashion fabric when I sewed the center back seam (I learned the technique in a class…