Skip to main content

Pinterest (inspiration), Cowl Neck Blouse and a Gore Skirt

The photo below was on Pinterest and it inspired me to create the skirt and the blouse.   
 

Fabrics: knit - animal print and white stretch gabardine fabric from my stash. Camouflage white and pink medium weight cotton knit fabric was  bought in Brooklyn, NY on a fabric extravaganza trip with my sewing sister Sheila.  Notions: pinking shears, and cotton and polyester thread and a white zipper.     
Construction & Sewing: The white skirt was self-drafted using my TNT skirt pattern. It’s an eight panel gore skirt. I did not try the skirt on during the construction because I’ve sewn many skirts and my TNT work like a charm. Well, surprise, surprise, the skirt was too big. I took in ¼ inch at  all the seam except for the center back seam where the zipper was inserted. I removed two inches from the waistband. I did not bother to try it on until today.                                                                                                                                                                                             The Cowl neck Blouse: you can find the pattern here . This is one of my favorite websites for free patterns.                                                                                                                                         Alterations: short back adjustment, two inches was removed from the middle back, ½- inch slope shoulder adjustment and one inch was removed from the hem.                                                        Note: this pattern works best with a knit that had a lot of drape.  I will not recommend a thin and vey light knit. Medium weight cotton knit the cowl neck does not drape softly.                                       This video tutorial was very helpful. After watching the tutorial I added a self-facing to the front of the blouse and a back facing.  The blogger who did the tutorial has a lot to offer, especially for beginners.                                                                                                                                             The young lady in this video inspired me to cut up my TNT skirt pattern to make a gore skirt . I know you may not see the connection, oh well that is how my brain work. One more skirt and maybe two more tops coming soon! Enjoy

Comments

Jackie said…
The pieces look wonderful on you! I especially like the skirt. It is very flattering!
alethia said…
Thank you Jackie, I feel wonderful and I am working on a second skirt.
Sheila said…
Very pretty and perfect for our weather. You did a fab job with the skirt... great fit.
alethia said…
Thank you Sheila, it took some time to get it done and I am soooo happy with the results.
Really nice top and skirt. Iit fits you perfectly Well.
Greetings from Spain.
Pilar.
alethia said…
Thank you Pilar and saludos from the USA.
I love this outfit. You've done a great job!
alethia said…
Thank you Angela.
Faye Lewis said…
What a gorgeous rendition of the inspiration photo!
alethia said…
Thank you Faye.

Popular posts from this blog

TNT Blouse and Skirt

Hello, I hope everyone had a fantastic holiday weekend. Below is a skirt and blouse I sewed two weeks ago from my  TNT patterns. Last year I blogged about it here.  I have not worn the ensemble yet, I am waiting for my hubby to be in the mood to take my photos.
Later.....

Done Burda 6727- The Coat

Hello,
The Amazing Coat Sew Along- The Wearable Muslin I started this coat (wearable muslin) last year as part of the Amazing Coat Sew Along. In the end I got sick with the flu and was unable to meet the deadline. The coat was done, all that was left to do was to hem the coat, add snaps and large button. The alterations to the pattern was documented in my previous post about the coat. Thanks to my sewing sister I worked on the coat last weekend and completed it. I had to wait for my new photographer (daughter) because the hobby was fired. I did a forward thrust shoulder adjustment, and I did not rotate the sleeves cap. The folds in the sleeves were a result of not rotating the sleeves cap. the biceps need mores ease.The armholes were lowered, as you can see I need to adjust the armholes a bit more. This is a great pattern,  I will adjust the pattern because I am planning to make another coat in the near future. 
Even though the coat is a test garment (muslin) I am going to wear it until t…

Butterick 6419 and 5941

My DD attended a spring fling event on April 21. The color for the event was blue, anything blue. She asked me to sew a blouse in blue with a large bow at the neck and palazzo’s pant in silver. She Choose Butterick 6419. I started with pant, the fabric was bought at Joann’s for 19.99/yd. Thank heavens for 50% coupon; I bought 3 yds. There is enough left over to make a blouse. I use my TNT pants (Butterick5941) made a muslin, extended the front crotch length and tweak the fit in the hips. I use the muslin as the pattern to cut the fashion fabric. The fabric took me out of my comfort zone, because of the appearance on the right side (liquid silver) , however, it was a knit and it sewed like butterrrrr. Next was the blouse; I did a muslin, there was minor adjustments in the back because of her narrow back and a swayback. I did not do a swayback adjustment in the muslin, instead I did the adjustment on the fashion fabric when I sewed the center back seam (I learned the technique in a class…