Monday, October 19, 2015

The Amazing Coat Sew-Along-4

In my last post I wrote about the sleeves, I sewed the sleeves and the fit was snug. I altered the pattern and increased the width of the sleeves from the bicep to my writs without changing the armhole. I had enough fabric to cut out another pair of sleeves and wallahhh all was well. I used information on Gertie’s blog concerning how to insert sleeve-heads in a jacket.



I purchased Warm & Natural Cotton Batting  from Jo-Ann Fabric & Crafts Store. I’ve made several quilts in the last 16-years and that is the only batting that I used. It is a bit expensive but so worth it.

 Anyway, back to the sleeve-heads; I basted the sleeve-head to the right sleeve seam allowance. Oh my goodness what a difference in the fit of the sleeves, the wrinkles that was radiating from the shoulder to the right upper chest area disappeared. 












If you look at the right shoulder you will be able to see the difference between the right and the left. 

Next, I will hand baste the sleeve-head to the left sleeve seam allowance and if all goes well adding the lining is next and hopefully my coat will be ready. Later……

Sunday, October 11, 2015

The Amazing Coat Sewing- The Muslin-3

I was unable to work on my muslin last week. Today I sewed the sleeves. I don't like to sew sleeves, however I had no problems sewing the sleeves in. Before sewing the sleeves I realize that they were tooo snug in in bicep area. I did not worry about it because the muslin phase is where I get to work out the fitting issues. I have believe I have enough fabric to cut out another pair of sleeves after I alter the sleeve pattern. Work in progress......

America, Happy Birthdate