Skip to main content

The Amazing Coat Sew-Along-4

In my last post I wrote about the sleeves, I sewed the sleeves and the fit was snug. I altered the pattern and increased the width of the sleeves from the bicep to my writs without changing the armhole. I had enough fabric to cut out another pair of sleeves and wallahhh all was well. I used information on Gertie’s blog concerning how to insert sleeve-heads in a jacket.



I purchased Warm & Natural Cotton Batting  from Jo-Ann Fabric & Crafts Store. I’ve made several quilts in the last 16-years and that is the only batting that I used. It is a bit expensive but so worth it.

 Anyway, back to the sleeve-heads; I basted the sleeve-head to the right sleeve seam allowance. Oh my goodness what a difference in the fit of the sleeves, the wrinkles that was radiating from the shoulder to the right upper chest area disappeared. 












If you look at the right shoulder you will be able to see the difference between the right and the left. 

Next, I will hand baste the sleeve-head to the left sleeve seam allowance and if all goes well adding the lining is next and hopefully my coat will be ready. Later……

Comments

Faye Lewis said…
Wonderful progress! Your coat is going to be amazing!
alethia said…
Thank you Faye, slowlyyy inching to the finish line.
Sheila said…
Looking good and before you know it, you will be rocking it.
Andrea said…
It is true those made a really big difference.

Popular posts from this blog

TNT Blouse and Skirt

Hello, I hope everyone had a fantastic holiday weekend. Below is a skirt and blouse I sewed two weeks ago from my  TNT patterns. Last year I blogged about it here.  I have not worn the ensemble yet, I am waiting for my hubby to be in the mood to take my photos.
Later.....

Done Burda 6727- The Coat

Hello,
The Amazing Coat Sew Along- The Wearable Muslin I started this coat (wearable muslin) last year as part of the Amazing Coat Sew Along. In the end I got sick with the flu and was unable to meet the deadline. The coat was done, all that was left to do was to hem the coat, add snaps and large button. The alterations to the pattern was documented in my previous post about the coat. Thanks to my sewing sister I worked on the coat last weekend and completed it. I had to wait for my new photographer (daughter) because the hobby was fired. I did a forward thrust shoulder adjustment, and I did not rotate the sleeves cap. The folds in the sleeves were a result of not rotating the sleeves cap. the biceps need mores ease.The armholes were lowered, as you can see I need to adjust the armholes a bit more. This is a great pattern,  I will adjust the pattern because I am planning to make another coat in the near future. 
Even though the coat is a test garment (muslin) I am going to wear it until t…

Butterick 6419 and 5941

My DD attended a spring fling event on April 21. The color for the event was blue, anything blue. She asked me to sew a blouse in blue with a large bow at the neck and palazzo’s pant in silver. She Choose Butterick 6419. I started with pant, the fabric was bought at Joann’s for 19.99/yd. Thank heavens for 50% coupon; I bought 3 yds. There is enough left over to make a blouse. I use my TNT pants (Butterick5941) made a muslin, extended the front crotch length and tweak the fit in the hips. I use the muslin as the pattern to cut the fashion fabric. The fabric took me out of my comfort zone, because of the appearance on the right side (liquid silver) , however, it was a knit and it sewed like butterrrrr. Next was the blouse; I did a muslin, there was minor adjustments in the back because of her narrow back and a swayback. I did not do a swayback adjustment in the muslin, instead I did the adjustment on the fashion fabric when I sewed the center back seam (I learned the technique in a class…